Saturday, December 12, 2009

Feeding time

After 5 angst-filled days, Graham is breastfeeding! Men who are reading this, the following will probably be TMI (too much information) for you, just a warning. Anyway, the second I got out of recovery I was the squeaky wheel about getting Graham to breastfeed. The doctors were hesitant for two days because they wanted to see how his little digestive track worked. When Dr. West came in on Thursday to do the reduction on the omphalocele, Graham pooped all over her, I guess that was proof enough. She gave the go ahead to put him to breast and I was a happy camper for about 3 minutes and then realized that getting him to "get it" was going to be difficult after he had 2 1/2 days of bottles and formula. Also, my milk had barely come in in only my left breast, and the right was not producing. His feedings are at 8a,11,2p,5p,8a,11p and Graham and I were attempting every time to get him to latch and he wasn't having it. Finally, after spending probably a total of 2 hours with the NICU lactation consultant, today, WE GOT IT. Thank you nipple shields. My milk came in on the right side and he has had two successful feedings bottle and syringe free. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted and I am so glad I didn't give up. It truly is the most amazing thing. I will sleep a much better 4 hours tonight, that's for sure.


3 comments:

  1. Ah yes. Nipple shields are the *best*. : ) Glad it's going well!

    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! Stay relaxed and don't stress! That is so exciting and I"m sure a huge relief!

    Amber Naughton

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy that it worked for both of you! It is such an amazing experience. Not to mention the calorie-burning benefits :) Graham is adorable!
    Niki

    ReplyDelete